24 Jan DJI Mavic Air review
DJI invited me to the DJI Mavic Air launch event in Sydney, Australia. They gave us early access to their new foldable drone and gave a fantastic presentation about all the new functionalities.
I’m excited to share my initial thoughts on this brand new little drone!
Here’s what I like about the DJI Mavic Air
- It is incredibly small. When folded up it is smaller than the DJI Spark.
- The camera is supposed to be better than the DJI Mavic.
- The controller knobs on the remote are detachable, which makes it even smaller to store.
- Internal memory of 8GB for when you forget your SD card.
- Finally a USB C connection on the drone!
- You can shoot DNG photos, allowing for better and more flexible post production.
- 360 panorama mode, where the drone automatically shoots a full sphere of photos and stitches them.
- New smart modes like Asteroid and Boomerang for hands free operations.
Here’s what I don’t like about the DJI Mavic Air:
- The flight time is limited to 21 minutes.
- The remote lacks an LCD screen.
- The price is higher than I expected it to be. It’s about the same as the Mavic Pro upon launch.
- It’s not the Mavic Pro 2 we were all hoping for!
My final thoughts:
Will I get one? Yes! Why? Because I’d rather have a drone with me than no drone at all. I very rarely bring my DJI Phantom 4 Pro with me due to it’s size and weight. The new DJI Mavic Air will always have a spot available in any (camera) bag because it is so incredibly small.
Subscribe to my newsletter if you’d like to stay up to date with new posts, tutorials and videos.
Thanks for reading!
I’d appreciate it if you could leave a comment here.