The Moza Slypod Pro is a motorized, carbon fiber monopod.
In this tutorial, I show you from beginning to end how to create captivating, cinematic hyperlapse sequences with it.
How to hyperlapse with the Slypod Pro
- Make sure your camera is set to manual mode, with your shutter speed, aperture, iso and white balance all dialled in manually.
- Make sure you’re shooting RAW and JPEG photos at the same time.
- Find a subject you would like to shoot and a path you want to shoot the subject from.
- On your subject you want to find an anchor point that is visible throughout the shot. This can be the corner of a building or a door or window.
- Do a test run of your path while keeping your anchor point in the exact same spot in your frame. You can use a focus point or a grid view in your viewfinder to help you with that.
- Review your shot to get a preview of the hyperlapse and then get ready to start.
- Go to the start of your path, line up your anchor point and take a photo. Then take a step forward on your path and repeat the process. Stay as consistent as possible in both your step size as well as your timing.
- Keep going for at least 100 photos.
How to stabilize a hyperlapse in After Effects
- Open up Adobe After Effects and import the JPEG sequence you just shot.
- Create a composition with that sequence and apple the Warp Stabiliser effect. Set the smoothness of the Warp Stabiliser to 10% and let it analyse.
- Preview the result in the timeline. If it's not smooth yet create a new composition from your existing one and add the Warp Stabiliser effect again.
- While the analysis is running, you can colour grade the RAW sequence in Lightroom and save the Develop Settings.
- Before exporting the stabilised sequence we can replace the JPEGs with the RAWs to make sure you have the highest quality video.
- I export at full resolution with an Apple ProRes 422 codec.
- Now you can put this hyperlapse in a video or create a fun zooming and looping boomerang with it!
This hyperlapse tutorial is sponsored by Moza. Check out the giveaway below to see how you can win one of five $100 Slypod Pro discount coupons or one of five $50 Ultimate Timelapse Course coupons.Moza Slypod Pro + Ultimate Timelapse Course coupon giveaway